azoospermia - wtf?

Monday, June 05, 2006

Male infertility

My wife and I have been trying for a kid. Although it's early days, we thought we'd get ourselves tested for fertility.

Now I don't know how many guys go through life thinking, "Piece of piss, I get jiggy, I do the biz, and Bob's your uncle - my woman has a bun baking in the oven." I certainly have.

It's only when your GP opens with the dreaded "I'm sorry how to tell you this..." that you know something's up. And then you find out that your fertility test found zero, nada, nil sperm. That's right, absolutely bugger all of those cells that are involved in creating a zygote. First thing in the morning, before you're headed to work. Just imagine how that feels. Oh, and to cap it all, your wife is with you, who like you, has really set her heart on having a baby.

Apparently, I suffer from azoospermia, a rare condition where there is a complete lack of sperm in the ejaculate. I've Googled it. And I've found stuff. And so I'm going to try to locate as many resources and share them, and maybe timeline my progress in dealing with this condition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home