azoospermia - wtf?

Monday, July 31, 2006

Britain's Sperm Crisis

On the front page of the Independent on Sunday on 30th July 2006, this headline caught my eye.

There is a current shortage in the number of active sperm donors in the UK, which is blamed in part on the change in the law last year, which means that children born from donated sperm are entitled, at age 18, to contact their biological father. Apparently as few as 10 sperm donors a month are being recruited in the UK, with sperm banks becoming so empty that couples are having to wait up to 5 years for a suitable sperm match.

Although it's not 'game over' yet for retrieving sperm from my testes, sperm donation is one of the routes available to us in our situation. But given my ethnic background, and the lack of donors, it would probably be a question of buying in sperm from donors abroad - which is a weird proposition.

As it stands, I'm still waiting to hear from the consultant re. my blood tests. I hate waiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home