azoospermia - wtf?

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back from Hols - Results Through!

The Mrs and I took a week off to have rest and relax. It's nice to get away, but, I'm sure you'll agree, with long-distance overseas trips, the negatives are jet-lag and picking up bugs on the plane (I have a nice cold now, boo hoo!)

Anyhow, as with any period of time away from home, there was a pile of mail to sift through on our return. Amongst the items of junk mail, mail for the previous tenants (we feel like we're a free version of the Royal Mail re-direction service, grrrrrrrrrr...), there was a letter from the consultant (as well as invoices from the BUPA hospital and the blood test centre - which I've forwarded to my medical insurer to sort out!)

The letter was fairly brief, a short statement reading:

"Dear [Me]

I now have the results of all the tests that I arranged for you and your wife.

I am pleased to say that your genetic makeup is normal and you do not carry the mutations for the commonly occurring causes of cystic fibrosis.

With kind regards.

[etc.]"

Interestingly, I had no idea that this is what he was testing for. It's reassuring to know that my genetic makeup is normal, but I don't know what this means in terms of the avenues that are open to us regarding fertility treatment.

I have e-mailed the consultant to ask for a follow-up appointment. Frustratingly, there was no mention of this in the letter, so it begs the question how these guys operate - I would have thought he'd be glad for the extra cash (£130 for a 20-30min consultation sounds like a good gig to me!) Don't worry, I'll be calling his office soon.

Random muttering: We've swung from thinking that kids are the be-all and end-all, to wanting a dog, to wanting kids, to thinking they're a pain in the butt. The worry is that if we do eventually have children, that we'd spoil them too much (and I've met kids born to infertile couples who fit this description), but that's neither here nor there right now.

1 Comments:

  • IF makes you question everything.
    Take it one day at a time (as you seem to be doing) and you and DW will be fine.

    Glad to hear that you're "normal." Teehee. Actually, I carry a CF mutation- the important thing is not to have BOTH parents carrying the gene.

    Hope your cold is better soon.
    -D.

    By Blogger Dramalish, at 7:26 am, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home