azoospermia - wtf?

Friday, August 11, 2006

Nonobstructive azoospermia - genetic defect?

In this article in the Urology Times, it suggests that "Idiopathic, primary nonobstructive azoospermia (NOA) is linked to a genetic defect known as a dysfunctional DNA mismatch repair pathway that also places these men at increased risk for cancer and other medical illnesses." Great!

Of course, this finding is the result of one person's research, and as with any scientific study it's likely that a significant amount of additional research will be required to support this thesis.

I'm pretty sure that my consultant wanted to check my chromosome count - he certainly didn't mention anything about 'dysfunctional DNA mismatch repair pathway'.

Not time to freak out yet (I don't actually know which form of azoospermia I have), but it's an interesting (and scary!) bit of research.

3 Comments:

  • Hi There

    I have just stumbled across your blog.
    My husband also has azoospermia, caused by a genetic disorder called Klinefelters Syndrome, he has an extra X chromosome making him XXY instead of XY.

    We were also given the option to do TESA with ICSI but the success rate was too low, so we have opted to use donor sperm.

    You will find a few male infertility blogs linked to my blog. I am going to add you also.

    All the best with your blood results.

    By Blogger ColourYourWorld, at 12:36 pm, August 16, 2006  

  • Ahoy, hoy... got here from a link in another azoo blog.

    My husband has non-obstructive azoospermia, and we recently had a little girl via donor insemination.

    I'll be back; I hope you get the best test results possible. You sound really positive, and that's the key.
    -D.

    By Blogger Dramalish, at 9:43 pm, August 16, 2006  

  • Hi there,
    Haven't seen an update in quite some time, but have been thinking about you and checking your blog periodically. Am keeping my fingers crossed for you and your wife!

    Shop Girl

    By Blogger Shop Girl, at 2:57 am, August 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home