azoospermia - wtf?

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Are kids worth it?

My wife alerted me to this interesting, perhaps outrageous, article on MSN Money UK.

The author presents a number of reasons why having a kid is a waste of time and money.

Now, given our situation, you might think that I should dismiss this article outright, as a blasphemy against the joy of having and raising a child. But, I like to think that I am an open-minded, fairly rational individual.

The arguments presented are, from a financial viewpoint, compelling. After all, it does cost a heap to raise a child, and there is no guarantee that you will get a return on your 'investment'. And, unlike in bygone days, there is no real economic gain from having a child.

But I think he misses a point. You don't have kids because you want to benefit in your old age from them taking care of you. You don't spend money on them, because you expect some kind of payback.

As my Dad always points out, no matter what I do, or how old I am, he and Mum will always see me as their baby. If you love your child, you will help them out, no matter the burdens, financial or otherwise.

I know that there are couples out there who choose not to have children. Sometimes I get annoyed if I know that they could have kids, and I think that they're wasting such a great gift. But on the other hand, if they have each other, and they're happy just being the two of them, then that's great too.

In a way, I wish it could be that we could choose not to have kids - not because of my 'defect'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home