azoospermia - wtf?

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sperm Retrieval - Post-op Recovery

I spent the next few days after my op off-sick (woohoo, time away from work!) I was advised to rest, no driving, no lifting. (Following the op, on the drive home, I did find it a bit uncomfortable, so there wasn't any chance that I'd be driving myself anywhere soon.)

The Mrs took a couple of days off to look after me. I can be a stubborn patient, but she did take it to some next level (for instance, she wouldn't allow me to carry anything.) She assisted with my twice-daily 5 minute baths, but she couldn't bring herself to look at the wound for the first day or so (admittedly it wasn't pretty.) I had no information on how many days I should be bathing, but I carried on with it for five or six days after the op.

My wife was incredibly angry with me at going through with the procedure. But I had to. Of course I had my doubts whether it was worth it, but I had to know for sure that there was nothing going on, and to be certain that I had tried everything medically possible.

Since the results were negative, I'm glad that we had already decided a few days before the procedure that we would follow the adoption route if this was true. I'm glad that we had discussed this, since it made our post-op decision much easier and quicker.

I know that for others in our situation, having a biological child with at least one person involved in the process is desirable. It was actually the Mrs who convinced me to think that adoption was our preferred option. Her argument was forceful: if only one of use could be involved in the process, it would be unfair to the other who couldn't. By adopting, we're in the same boat - neither of us is biologically involved.

4 Comments:

  • Howdy Benchimus:

    My name is Eric and I saw your link over the The Hardest Quest. Not too many male bloggers out there regarding infertility and fewer regarding MFI. I believe you are the first I have seen discussing a sperm retrieval biopsey. My own blog started way after that after our kids were born (by DI not my own stuff). Just wanted to say hello offer encouragement in your quest for kids and regarding your blog.

    Regards,

    Eric

    By Blogger DI_Dad, at 1:12 am, January 29, 2007  

  • I got to your blog through ShopGirls blog. Like Eric, I haven't come across any male bloggers. My husband is infertile and only now (3 years after we learned of no sperm count) is he willing to do any further testing. We have been in the domestic adoption maze for over a year now and have only just made the decision to investigate our infertility options (w/out stopping the adoption wait). Initially we decided to go straight to adoption because we knew that we would definitely have a child, but we didn't anticipate the long wait and a birth mother scam. I was very interested in your post about the sperm retrieval. We have an appointment for him to give his nonexistent sample and then a urine sample to see if there is semen in his urine next month. I will come back and follow your story.

    By Blogger Happy, at 12:44 am, February 21, 2007  

  • Best of luck on your journey to parenthood. My husband is also azoospermic and we chose the DI route. I blogged it all if you are interested.

    JenH

    By Blogger Darrell H, at 7:44 pm, March 26, 2007  

  • Thanks for the kind comments di_dad, JenH.

    I haven't been as diligent as keeping this blog up to date as I thought I would be.

    I'm glad you have taken the time to read my blog, and for me it's been good to read about others' experiences with male infertility. We're still trying to work through it, and I guess the grief never really goes away...

    By Blogger Benchimus, at 12:19 pm, June 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home